Sunday, January 27, 2008

Ah! Violeta!

Bad news for you Aunt K (because I know you’re reading this): I just finished my second book so far this year!

(My aunt and I are in the middle of a contest to see who can read the most books this year. With grad school/now teaching, a toddler, and my own books to write, I usually average about 30-35. But I’ve been challenged, and I’m sorry to say that I have a hard time backing down from challenges. Kinda like the whole Marty McFly/Chicken thing.)

As great as it was, “The Book Thief” seemed to take forever to finish. Awesome book, I mean, Amazing, but not one to pick up if you’re in the middle of a contest and need to read fast and often.

I do, however, have Melissa Walker to thank for my amazing read this past week: “Violet on the Runway.”

So, so very good! I mean, what teen girl hasn’t wanted to be a supermodel, right? I practically *lived* for the day I’d get discovered. (Sigh) Didn’t quite happen for me, but I was able to live vicariously through Violet this week, which was super awesome.

It had everything: exciting parts, sad parts, humbling parts—every time Angela waltzed into the room I thought Meryl Streep: “Devil Wears Prada,” which made me smile and love her, even when I didn’t want to.

The thing about me and books is that I usually can’t form an opinion about them until I’m finished reading. It’s the same with movies. When the guy I’m sorta married to but not allowed to talk about online asks me how I’m liking a book, I always say the same thing: “Good so far, but ask me again when I’m finished.” I guess, for me, the ending makes everything.

This week was different. At chapter two I put Violet down and announced: “This is *such* a good book.”

I knew it that soon because: IT MADE ME LAUGH OUT LOUD!

That rarely *ever* happens. I’ll smile when I read something, or think: “that’s funny,” but some parts of this book literally Cracked me up. If I would’ve been in public, people would’ve stared at me.

So, thank you Melissa, for making the end of this cold, miserable week so much better. AND for writing a sequel: Violet by Design, which is now on my list of “books to buy” when it comes out in March. I mean, I’m kinda invested at this point. I have to see if this whole Violet/Roger thing goes anywhere, because I’m *so* crushing on him now.

(sigh) Literary Love. Yes, Roger must be added to the list. He joins the ranks of Owen Armstrong, Wes (from The Truth About Forever), Mr. Darcy, Mark Darcy, Landon Carter, Romeo, Jessie (from the Mediator series), among a host of others…

If you haven’t already, Get It! You won’t be sorry!




~Love, Leigh~

No comments: