Monday, March 10, 2008

What's In A Name?

Do you like your name? Do you like it now, but way back when not so much? I think everyone kind of goes through a stage where they hate their name and wish it was different. As a kid, maybe?

So to be honest, when I was in the fourth grade I wanted to be a “Dominique.” I even went so far as to sign in as “Dommy” when I was playing computer games. I don’t know, I just thought it was a beautiful, elegant name.

Professionally, I’ve kind of changed my name. Leigh is my middle name. In real life, most people know me as Erin; in publishing and internet life, Leigh. I kinda like it that way. I mean, I’m getting used to answering to both . . . of course, I’ll answer to anything, pretty much.

Still, at one time I just *hated* the name Erin. And I think in third grade I tried to become Erin Leigh “Ann.” Don’t know about that one.

Now there are all these fun name generators on the internet. Like my “Spring” name, for instance, is: Iris Garden Spirit. Apparently my Internet dating chat room name is: Cutelegs53. (I don’t think I wanna know where the 53 comes from.) My leprechaun name? It’s Underpants O’Farrell. What about my turkey name? Freaky-Crazy Beak. My pirate name is Captain Ladies Beard, which is kind of . . . I don’t know. Ew?

My elvish name . . . so I can brandish my sword with Orlando Bloom: Alatariel Numenesse. (Sigh.)

But my favorite name of all time is my exotic dancer name. Apparently you’re supposed to take the name of your first pet, and add it to the name of the first street you lived on.

And so . . . should this whole writing thing not work out for me. I can always become . . .

.
.
.
.
.
.
.

Tiffy MacGregor

The good news is, if the writing thing *does* work out I can live vicariously through my characters: Wrenn, Zoe, Olivia, Reagan . . . you know, whenever “Erin” or “Leigh” just doesn’t cut it.

SO . . . What did you try to change your name to as a kid?
What are your crazy names?
http://www.quizopolis.com/name_generators.php
http://www.chriswetherell.com/elf/
Exotic Dancer: First Pet plus First Street Name

Leave your names in the comments (also at myspace)!

Love,
Tiff

No comments: