Friday, December 12, 2008

I know that some people don’t like getting tagged or filling out meme’s, but that is *so* not me because it gives me good material for my blogs (that I just *cannot* seem to find time to update).

So thank you, Janet, for tagging me for “16 Things.”

I believe in my last “things” meme I confessed that I really do wish I was a princess and I totally faked a sprained ankle once, so . . . Rules are:

Write 16 random things, shortcomings, facts, habits or goals about you. At the end choose 16 people to be tagged. You have to tag the person who tagged you.

1. One Wish is the first “official” young adult book I’ve ever written, but I have at least eight finished YA manuscripts currently collecting dust on my laptop (some on submission, some destined to be forgotten forever . . . if I’m lucky).

2. I’m not emo or anything, but my favorite clothing color is black and I love wearing chokers.

3. I love vintage/reproduction jewelry (hence the chokers).

4. I will never get a tattoo because I don’t believe in subjecting myself to unnecessary pain. It’s also why two earring holes (on each ear) are the limit. The last set nearly made me cry.

5. I hate crying in front of people because I see it as a sign of weakness (not if YOU cry . . . that’s okay. It’s just that I avoid it at all costs). I also tend to shut down emotionally when I’m not in control (Okay, and I totally just confessed I wasn’t emo . . . like you believe me now).

6. The message behind a lot of my YA books is about being in control (or not). I clearly focus on the messages I need most.

7. My worst photo ever was my school picture circa seventh grade. I’m wearing a terrible white/yellow sunflower dress, my elbows are pointy, my hair is frizzy and my teeth are crooked. It still gives me nightmares.

8. I once wore said sunflower dress to church . . . with purple underwear . . . and actually played the piano on stage that night. . . . Had NO idea ‘til a friend lovingly pointed it out, after which I died from humiliation.

9. I’m known for wearing shirts inside out, tripping over my own feet, running into door jambs, and most recently: hitting my head on a wall sconce in my mom’s house, after which I exclaimed: “I’m going to throw up.”

10. If I wasn’t a writer I’d love to be a professional ballroom/ballet dancer. (Because I’d really be able to dance, and not trip over my feet . . . sure.)

11. I did research on vampires in a grad school mythology class (like, a comparision of vampires in folklore versus how they’re portrayed in Hollywood and in novels . . . I know: Nerd Alert!) and had terrible dreams for weeks after I turned it in (at least I got an A!). The vampires were clearly after me, and they would not die. This, of course, was pre-Stephenie Meyer . . . because I will admit I am madly in love with a certain vampire named Edward Cullen and he is welcome to show up in my dreams anytime. . . .

12. I cheated to pass an Algebra class and forged my mom’s signature on every failing test my teachers sent home.

13. I keep a running list of things I want to do/experience in my lifetime, like visiting Europe.

14. I tend to have a thing for guys with British accents (Colin Firth, anyone?) and I love romantic comedies: the cheesier the better.

15. I love history . . . and learning . . . I hate that it took so long for me to realize that.

16. Even though I’m the strangest, quirkiest person I know . . . I’m glad that I’m in a place where I’m happy with who I am. It’s okay that I probably wear too much black and have stockpiled embarassing/humiliating moments over the years; that I’m a borderline control freak, and have made some pretty hideous choices; that my ipod is so full of classical/instrumental music randomness that it’s embarrassing . . . I’m glad to be me, and I wish I knew then what I know now.

I’m not tagging 16 people (hopefully something *bad* won’t happen to me), but if you’re reading this you’re welcome to participate.!

Love,
~Leigh~

No comments: