Friday, March 27, 2009

Carrie Ryan is Here!

In continuing with the fabulous Debs Tour, today I have the fantastic Carrie Ryan on the blog!

About Carrie Ryan

Born and raised in Greenville, South Carolina, Carrie Ryan is a graduate of Williams College and Duke University School of Law. A former litigator, she now writes full time. She lives with her writer/lawyer fiancé, two fat cats and one large puppy in Charlotte, North Carolina. They are not at all prepared for the zombie apocalypse.

About The Forest of Hands and Teeth

The Forest of Hands and Teeth is about a young girl named Mary growing up generations after an apocalypse in a village surrounded by fences protecting them from the Unconsecrated, zombie-like creatures inhabiting the Forest of Hands and Teeth. Cut off from the rest of the world and told they are the last survivors of the Return, every part of her life is controlled by the religious order called the Sisterhood. As Mary starts to fall in love with someone she shouldn’t, she learns the extent of the Sisterhood’s power and starts to discover more of their darkest secrets. When the security of the fences is threatened and her world is thrown into chaos, Mary must decide what she’s willing to risk to find out if there’s life beyond the Forest.

Sounds awesome, right? Apparently I’m not the only one who thinks so:

"Mary's observant, careful narration pulls readers into a bleak but gripping story of survival and the endless capacity of humanity to persevere...Fresh and riveting."
—Publishers Weekly, Starred Review

That review is starred, people. Starred.

But enough of that! On to the Interview!

Me: Without giving away too many spoilers, what is your favorite part of the novel/what was the part you had the most fun writing?

Carrie: All my favorite scenes are spoilers! There's a scene where one of the characters dies and it was really hard to write because I was just so sad but I also loved writing it because I got to pour all this emotion into it.


Me: Oh no! That sounds both terrible and exciting! P.S. Readers: if you want to know more about that spoiler, head to the FAQ section of Carrie’s website!! Back to the interview: So what kinds of writing projects are you currently working on? Or, if you aren't working on anything new, is there a different demographic/genre you wouldn't mind tackling in the future?

Carrie: Right now I'm revising the sequel/companion to The Forest of Hands and Teeth called The Dead-Tossed Waves which will be out in Spring 2010. I'm also just about to get started writing my Spring 2011 book.

Me: Excellent! I love sequels! And finally: who is your writing hero and why?

Carrie: I have so many writing heroes! One of my favorites is Christopher Pike because I loved reading his books as a teen. He taught me to love reading (and how to read fast!)

Oh My Goodness! I read one of his books when I was a pre-teen . . . I can still see this girl’s dead face pressed beneath the ice. It freaked me out!! Good choice, though. :)

Readers, you can visit Carrie at her home on the web: http://www.carrieryan.com.

And . . . The Forest of Hands and Teeth is officially on sale. You can buy it here: http://www.amazon.com/Forest-Hands-Teeth-Carrie-Ryan/dp/0385736819/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1225030123&sr=8-1

Carrie will be chatting with Saundra Mitchell tomorrow at: http://www.saundramitchell.com/blog

Thank you so much for stopping by, Carrie!

No comments: