Sunday, May 17, 2009

A Day at the River. . . .

1. Okay, so I had the most fabulous time on Saturday. We packed up the fam and headed about an hour out of town to visit my aunt and uncle at their house at the river. (I mean, backyard = river.) I had a great time visiting with family: grandparents, aunts, uncles, and cousins. Food was great. The golf cart ride my cousin took me on was nothing if not exciting.

Will not post pics of the extended fam because I do respect their privacy. I, however, am fair game:















This is me with my pasty white legs that have not seen sun all winter.

This crocodile, which we chased down in my uncles’ boat, is also fair game:
















I don’t know if it was a croc or an alligator. I didn’t get close enough to find out. Not that I would’ve been able to tell the difference, anyway. This was close enough for me. Our boat was low to the water, and I kept imagining the thing diving on board and death-rolling (shudders). It seemed pretty docile though; as in: if I don’t mess with it, it won’t mess with me. Still, I didn’t stick my foot in the water if you know what I mean.

After a week of grading research papers, it was nice to get away for a while. I’ve mentioned on this blog before that I *live* for water. It’s rejuvenating. There’s (almost) nothing that a trip to the river or ocean won’t cure.


If I sell just a few more copies of One Wish I might think about doing the river house thing. My aunt’s office view was the stuff dreams are made of. (And I know, as an English professor, I should’ve said: the stuff from which dreams are made, but we’re all friends here).

2. Author’s copies of One Wish arrived! Will do a giveaway soon, so keep checking back!













3. I’m still doing the Debs Blog thing. Here’s my list of weekly links:

Week of May 17-23

5/17 C. Lee McKenzie http://writegame.blogspot.com/

(What food makes writer pains go away)

(If I was a superhero!)
5/19 Kate Messner http://kmessner.livejournal.com/
(The first thing I wrote that made me feel like a writer)
(What happens when I get writer’s block)
(If Wrenn was in a pageant. . . .)
(In Five Words!)
(Do I outline?)

4. Congratulations to Aprilynne Pike! Her novel, Wings, debuted on the NYT Bestseller list! http://www.aprilynnepike.com/

I swear, as a 2009 Debutante, I am in the presence of greatness. Check us out at www.feastofawesome.com.

Love,

~Leigh~

No comments: