Monday, May 24, 2010

Blog Update: Anniversary Edition

I know I’ve been in and out lately. I’m still wrapping up these classes, and I’m knee-deep in some fairly important revisions, so my mind has been elsewhere. Today, though, is my seventh anniversary with the guy I’m sorta married to but not allowed to talk about online. Seven years! I just want to say, ladies, if you want to make it seven years in the world today, find someone who makes you laugh, even when you want, more than anything in the world, to be mad. It’s a good first step, anyway.

So, in honor of seven insane years, here are seven facts about our wedding:

1. We got married in the Chapel on the campus of our alma mater: Mount Olive College. We actually went on our first “date” there: some random bacteria lecture we had to attend for class credit. That day: I had the AC jacked as low as it would go.

2. Our wedding color was purple, and I used a lot of ivy and wisteria. The focus was on 1 Corinthians 13: Love is patient . . . Love is kind. . . . I wore a white, strapless, A-line gown.

3. Since my new last name was crazy Italian, all of our tables were named after cities in Italy. We sat at Brescia. There was also a Naples, Florence, and Milan. . . .

4. I was a highly laid-back bride. I did most of the decorations and flowers (and programs, and favors, and centerpieces) on my own (or with my mom’s help). No planner. Very DIY. In hindsight, I would have either delegated more or eloped. And I should have never done my own French manicure or let someone else do my hair.

5. Our wedding song was “Come What May” from Moulin Rouge. I still get goosebumps whenever I hear it. That phrase is also engraved on the inside of my engagement ring.



6. I opted against bridesmaids, and instead included my four little girl cousins, dressed in all white. My little brother was the ring bearer. He was four at the time.

7. For our honeymoon, we took a road trip. We stopped in Savannah, GA, and got lost in Florida because I forgot to check to see if the new DH could read a map before I married him. We were students and broke, and pulled out all the cash from our wedding cards: Disney World or bust. On the way back we ran out of $$$, but it’s okay because I won $150.00 in the South Carolina scratch-off lottery, which took us safely back to NC. But those are all stories for another blog. . . .

Enjoy your day, everyone!

Love,
~Leigh~

No comments: