Saturday, February 21, 2009

Okay, so what don’t I have in common with Erin Dionne? In addition to being writers and sharing the same first name (Yes! In real life I’m an Erin, too), we also both teach college English (though she’s onground and I’m online), we each have books out this Spring, and they both have a strong body image storylines.

So, of course, I’m especially excited to talk to Erin about her new release: Model’s Don’t Eat Chocolate Cookies.

First . . . About the Novel:

Thirteen-year-old Celeste Harris is no string bean, but comfy sweatpants and a daily chocolate cookie suit her just fine. Her under-the-radar lifestyle could have continued too, if her aunt hadn’t entered her in the HuskyPeach Modeling Challenge. To get out of it, she’s forced to launch Operation Skinny Celeste—because, after all, a thin girl can’t be a fat model! What Celeste never imagined was that losing weight would help her gain a backbone . . . or that all she needed to shine was a spotlight.

More About Erin Dionne:

Erin Dionne has lived on two coasts and in four states. Her debut novel, MODELS DON’T EAT CHOCOLATE COOKIES, was inspired by events that occurred in seventh grade, when she wore a scary peach bridesmaid dress in her cousin’s wedding and threw up on her gym teacher’s shoes (not at the same event). Although humiliating at the time, these experiences are working for her now.

Erin lives outside of Boston with her husband and daughter, and a very insistent dog named Grafton. She roots for the Red Sox, teaches English at an art college, and sometimes eats chocolate cookies.

Sounds Great, right? On to the Interview!

Me: Erin! (I feel like I’m addressing myself!) I’m so happy to have you here today! I haven’t read it yet . . . so without giving away too many spoilers, what is your favorite part of Models Don’t Eat Chocolate Cookies, or what was the part you had the most fun writing?

Erin: I had a blast writing all of the HuskyPeach scenes. It's a more glamorous world, and it's also very over-the-top. Aspects of it made me giggle out loud.

Me: I’ve never been part of the beauty world, but I can imagine. Those girls (and their moms) are fairly intriguing. Okay, so we all know that writers never take breaks: what kind of writing projects are you currently working on? Or, if you aren't working on anything new, is there a different demographic/genre you wouldn't mind tackling in the future?

Erin: Right now I'm in the middle of revisions on my second book, another middle grade, called THE TOTAL TRAGEDY OF A GIRL NAMED HAMLET. That comes out in Spring 2010. At some point, I want to write YA, but MG seems to be where I'll be for a while--I have another MG project in the development stage!

Me: I love that title! I remember when you were trying to decide what to call your ms: Total Tragedy was definitely my favorite choice! And finally, who is your writing hero and why?

Erin: Stephen King. Absolutely. He actually writes from the POV of children really well (Read "The Body" if you don't believe me), and first and foremost he's a story teller. The characters and what happens to them are the most important element in his books, and I respect that. Some writers get caught up in flowery language, others are so enthralled with their writerliness that it gets in the way of the story. King gets out of his own way and lets the story come through.

Me: Stephen King is a master . . . at keeping me up at night. The movie versions of his novels traumatized me. . . . I did love his book, On Writing, though. And I know you’re both huge Red Sox fans. ;)

I’m so excited about this release! If you want more information about Erin or Models you can stop by her home on the web at http://www.erindionne.com

And . . . Models Don’t Eat Chocolate Cookies is officially on sale. You can buy it here: http://www.amazon.com/Models-Dont-Eat-Chocolate-Cookies/dp/0803732961/ref=pd_rhf_p_t_1

Erin will be chatting with Deva Fagan tomorrow at: http://www.devafagan.com

Thank you so much for stopping by, Erin!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for having me! You asked great questions.

Clearly, we share an Erin-brain. : P