Monday, December 14, 2009

I *heart* Ballet

Here’s a secret that, if you know anything about me, is no secret:

I want to be a ballerina.

Yes. I do.

See, I don’t think the ballet is even an acquired taste. You either love it, or you don’t. Me? (sigh) I *love* it. It’s my favorite. I love concerts. I love musicians. I love symphonies. I love plays. I love musicals. But I *LOVE* the ballet.

Yesterday, I went to see The Nutcracker Ballet. It’s sort of become a Christmas tradition. I remember my mom taking me when I was younger. This time we took baby girl (who adored it, but that doesn’t surprise anyone who knows that she is really me reincarnated).

(sigh) I love the costumes and the dancers and the snow falling from the rafters and the musicians in the orchestra pit and the dancing and the dancing and the dancing. (sigh)

Yeah, so there’s a very unstable side of me that would probably stay in my seat for hours after Clara appears behind the screen waking up from her dream and rocking her toy nutcracker, sobbing in the chair and occasionally sputtering: “I—I—I l-l-love th-the Ballet!” Yeah. I’m totally mental.

You know why I can’t be a ballerina, though? Because when we were applauding the cast for a job well done, I stood up, lost my balance, and almost fell backwards into my seat. Yeah. I’m not the most coordinated person in the world. My tragic flaw.

For now, I live vicariously:



Fact for your Monday: One of my favorite sounds occurs in the moments before an orchestra begins to play, when they are warming up. Each instrument is playing its own note and the result is this string of tones that doesn’t quite make a legitimate chord, but is sooooo beautiful.

Would you believe YouTube has captured this for me? Well, you should. YouTube Freakin’ Rocks.



(sigh)

Okay. God. Enough Sighing!

The good news is that, even though I don’t have the grace of a dancer, I have the heart of one. In fact, you might just find baby girl and me jammin’ to some Waltz of the Flowers today. We’ll have to fight over who gets to be the Sugar Plum Fairy, though.

Have a great week!

Love,
~Leigh~

1 comment:

cleemckenzie said...

I used to love The Nutcracker, but when a family member started dancing in it and I had to see it four years in a row, I had to have a break this year.

It is a lovely ballet and it's so much fun for the children who participate in it.