Tuesday, November 6, 2007

NaNoWriMo Day 6

I can’t believe it is day six already. Usually Novembers drag on and on. And that whole time change mess doesn’t help. I mean, who wants it to get dark at 5pm? I feel like I should go to sleep after dinner. I can’t wait until Christmas, then it can jump straight to May for all I care.

I’m in the midst of problems with my character’s voices right now. The main character is 11, and I feel like I’m writing above my intended audience (9-11) year old girls. They are sounding more like 13 or so to me. I’m trying to bring my writing down some, but it’s hard. It’s always recommended that you read a lot of books in the age bracket you write for, and well, I can’t tell you the last time I read a book for an eleven-year-old.

Okay that’s a lie, because I just realized that right now I’m reading “The Giver” by Lois Lowry, which is one of those classics I somehow missed when I was a kid. So maybe everything is okay after all, and I’m just second-guessing myself. That happens a lot when you’re writing. After “The Giver” I’m on to the amazing Maureen Johnson, who I’ve heard so much about but have yet to read something by.

Goal for the day: to remember that NaNoWriMo is about quantity of words, not quality of writing. Revising and second-guessing are for December.

Time: 1:20pm
1: Dr. Pepper Float from Sonic
2: pieces of Halloween candy consumed
8: number of times email checked for grad exam results
9: number of times email checked for grad exam results

6,289: number of NaNo words written
43,711: words to go

Yes, I’m still a day behind.

No comments: