Friday, August 20, 2010

Friday Five: Playlist Edition

I know. I know. I’m MIA again. For good reason, though. I’m stuck in RevisionLand. I’d like to say that everything is deep fried here, and there are clowns and elephants and bearded ladies, but this is not that kind of land.
It feels like it, though.

Because I’m up and I’m down and I hate it and I love it and I feel like I’m going to puke. . . .

Yes. That’s what it’s like when revisions aren’t going well: eating a Fried Snickers and bouncing back and forth from the Tilt-a-Whirl to the Gravitron until you’ve collapsed in your puke, unconscious. Unless they’re going great, and then it’s like being at the top of greatest hill on the biggest roller coaster, and all that’s left is the thrill and the wind in your face until you reach the end. Needless to say, I’ve been lying (laying?) in my puke more than anything this time around, and I’m not bearded yet, but it probably wouldn’t hurt if I took a pair of tweezers to my eyebrows. Eyebrow.

But that’s not what I’m going to blog about. Unless you need to commiserate, then feel free comment below, because it would be nice to know that I’m not the only one getting my butt kicked. I’m just saying.

Instead, I’m listing the top five songs on my playlist right now: the songs that are helping me coast to the end, or acting as the soundtrack as I lie unconscious in the grass, empty candy wrappers stuck to my cheek.
In no particular order:

1. “Graceful Dancing” by Blue October. I’ve only recently discovered this song, but it’s got a great hook. And you know . . . you’re a superstar on your own.

2. “Fix You” by Coldplay. This song is on every book playlist of mine. If I could do a music video of the climax of every ms I’ve written, this song would be the background. But I’m just dramatic like that.

3. “They’ll Never Know” by Ross Copperman. Sweet song. Touching and emotional, and it gets me through any scene where someone is crying. Because my characters cry. Sometimes.

4. “Supermassive Black Hole” by Muse. I swear, half of my playlist is Muse. Did you know I saw them live last year? No? I did. SBH is a great song, but really, it’s all encompassing . . . because any Muse song could go here.

5. “Gone Away” by Lucy Schwartz. Because the space between the universe? That’s where RevisionLand lies (lays?). She has a sweet voice, though. It’s kind of soothing. *Exactly* what I need.

All of these songs have some kind of meaning as they relate to my current WIP. Also: The Fray, The Script, The Cranberries . . . These are the dudes who keep me going.

Bet you thought I was going to stick Michael Buble in there, didn’t you? Fooled you! (whispers: “Lost.” No. Really. I am not alone . . . he is here with me . . . and we’ll get lost together. . . .). I’d like to be lost . . . but not in RevisionLand.

(sigh)

Pulling myself out of the grass and the dirt and the trash and heading in for another round. I mean, at some point I have to let go and press “send,” right?
Have a great weekend!

Love,

~Leigh~

No comments: