Friday, October 22, 2010

Meeting Carrie Ryan

I must blog very fast today, because I am *SOOO* behind. (I know, I know. And you’re totally going to hear this until my next month off, which is um, June. So I apologize in advance for the whining.)

I do want to say that I left my house long enough this week to hear the *fabulous* Carrie Ryan speak in Kinston yesterday. No one *ever* comes to speak to us in Eastern NC, so this was a big deal.

I snatched my little brother and met Shana Norris (TROY HIGH, SOMETHING TO BLOG ABOUT) so we could show our writerly solidarity (I don’t even know if that makes sense, and I don’t have time to look it up) and support Carrie.

Actually, I was hoping to steal some of Carrie’s magical, New York Times Bestseller Greatness for myself.

Seriously though: she gave an awesome presentation about everything zombie, talked about getting published, and (as a writer) putting your characters “through the fire” to prove they can handle it.

She almost made me want to go out and rent every zombie movie ever filmed. (coughs) Almost.

I was able to get a photo. Yay!




(Thank you, Shana, for sending, because of course my camera is Crap.)

(I usually don’t post photos of myself without doing some retouching, but if there’s no time to blog, there’s definitely no time to spend hours and hours playing with my photo-editing software. You’ll just have to deal with my shiny face, and what my mom calls my *default* smile: all big and toothy. Carrie, of course, is adorable.)

And . . . Carrie signed my copy of THE FOREST OF HANDS AND TEETH, which I’m planning to read (again) after I finish Melissa Marr’s INK EXCHANGE.

It’s actually with my brother right now, anyway. He started reading it in the car on the way home, and made me drive 40 minutes in silence (no discussion/no radio). It was worth it, though, and I guarantee he stayed up late last night to finish it. I love it when I’m right.

(sigh) It’s back to work for me.

Enjoy your weekend!

Love,
~Leigh~

P.S. Yes! My red hair is gone. The color faded, and my roots were looking heinous, so I re-colored this week. Unfortunately, the store didn’t have Ruby Rush, so I had to go with Ruby Fusion, which is *not* a Feria Power Red. My hair is sparkly and auburn, but I miss the *red* already. The guy I’m sort of married to but not allowed to talk about online and my mom seem to feel differently.

*Am going to paint my fingernail tips black in protest*

2 comments:

Shana said...

My face was all shiny too, so don't feel bad!

And lol about your brother reading the book on the way home. That just proves that little brothers should always listen to their older sisters because they're always right. ;)

Leigh Brescia said...

My brother did the same thing with the Maximum Ride series (James Patterson). I swore he'd love the book, and he didn't believe me. Then he read it and went out and bought the whole series. Same with The Hunger Games. One day he'll learn to trust me. :)